Slap bang in the middle of Stanley Park is the White clock tower. It is dedicated to William Cocker, one of the "founders" of Blackpool.
Here are the pictures and the inscriptions:
|The inscription on the South Wall of the Clock Tower|
|Top section of inscription|
|Lower section of Inscription|
THIS TOWER WAS ERECTED IN THE
YEAR 1926. THE JUBILEE OF THE
INCORPORATION OF THE
BOROUGH OF BLACKPOOL
IN HONOUR OF
WILLIAM HENRY COCKER Esq IP
MRCS Eng LSA
FIRST MAYOR AND HONORY FREEMAN
OF THE BOROUGH.
A MAN OF IDEAS WIDE VISION AND STERLING
ABILITY DR COCKER RENDERED EMINENT SERVICE
TO THE MUNICIPALITY. HE WAS ELECTED MAYOR
ON SIX OCCASIONS AND WAS A MEMBER OF THE
COUNCIL FOR THIRTY-FIVE YEARS DURING A LONG
CAREER OF UNSELFISH DEVOTION TO PUBLIC DUTY
IT WAS HIS CONSTANT ENDEAVOUR TO INCREASE
THE POPULARITY OF BLACKPOOL AS A HEALTH AND
PLEASURE RESORT. THE JUBILEE YEAR MARKED THE
REALISATION OF OF THE WONDERFUL DEVELOPMENTS
THAT HE FORESAW & ADVOCATED WITH STEADFAST
FAITH AND CONFIDENCE
|Imposing shot up the tower|
|Water Trough facing south towards the South Entrance of the park|
|Entrance to clock tower showing the Corporation crest and the water trough|
|The corporation crest|
|Close up of the door. This faces the cafe.|
|The northern drinking trough|
|View from the Art Deco Cafe|
|From the Clock Tower facing south.|
The sports arena is on the right.
The indoor sports hall is a little further on.
|The inscription again|
|The long drive away east.|
All weather pitches on the right and tennis courts on the left.
|The drive away to the north. This is the tennis pavilion|
Photograph of civic dignitaries including Dr Cocker!
|Blackpool dignitaries - Dr Cocker is in the centre|
We will certainly be meeting Dr Cocker again on our travels.
Post a Comment